What’s it WORTH on eBay?
• On Nov. 5, 1605, King James I of England learns that a plot to blow up the Parliament building with some 20 barrels of gunpowder was been foiled. Guy Fawkes was taken into custody and revealed that he was part of a conspiracy to annihilate England’s Protestant government. Every year Fawkes is burned in effigy in remembrance of the plot.
• On Nov. 4, 1922, King Tut’s 3,000-year-old tomb is discovered by British archaeologist Howard Carter in the Valley of the Kings in Egypt. The tomb contained a stone sarcophagus with three nested coffins. Inside the final coffin, made of solid gold, was the mummy of the boy-king Tutankhamen.
• On Nov. 2, 1947, The Hughes Flying Boat — the largest aircraft ever built — is piloted by designer Howard Hughes on its first and only flight. The wooden aircraft had a wingspan longer than a football field and was designed to carry more than 700 men into battle.
• On Nov. 1, 1959, Montreal Canadien Jacques Plante becomes the first NHL goaltender to wear a full facemask. After four broken noses, a broken jaw, two broken cheekbones and 200 stitches, Plante wore the mask, against the coach’s wishes.
• On Nov. 3, 1976, “Carrie,” a horror film based on Stephen King’s 1974 best-selling first novel, opens in theaters. “Carrie” is considered one of the best big-screen adaptations of King’s work.
© 2017 King Features Synd., Inc.
DUPACO AGAIN NAMED ‘TOP PERFORMING’ CREDIT UNION
DUBUQUE, Iowa—Dupaco Community Credit Union has been recognized as one of the nation’s “Top Performing” credit unions, reaffirming its commitment to improve its members’ financial positions.
Ranking no. 1 in its asset class, Dupaco has been named a recipient of the Crystal Performance Award. The Raddon Financial Group recognizes credit unions for their performance in several areas, including profitability, growth and efficiency. The prestigious award was based on the credit union’s performance
At a cooperative like Dupaco, the more business members do with their credit union, the more everyone benefits, according to Dupaco President and CEO Joe Hearn. As Dupaco has grown, so has the credit union’s ability to offer cost-effective financial services, including its popular, no-cost Money Makeovers that help members cut costs and build savings.
When Dupaco helps its members save money, the whole credit union grows and becomes an even stronger cooperative to better serve its members in the years to come,” Hearn said.
Each year, more than 500 credit unions are evaluated for the award, which is given to the top 10 performing credit unions in two asset classes: those above $500 million and those below $500 million in assets. Dupaco also received the award in 2009 and 2011-2016.
ABOUT DUPACO COMMUNITY CREDIT UNION:
Dupaco Community Credit Union is a not-for-profit, member-owned financial cooperative. It is dedicated to the financial sustainability of its members, and specializes in customized financial counseling, money advice and education. It offers savings, loans, investments, insurance and wealth management products for individuals and businesses. Dupaco serves residents in 108 counties throughout Iowa, northwest Illinois and southwest Wisconsin. Chartered in 1948, membership totals more than 100,000 with assets exceeding $1.5 billion. Visit Dupaco at www.dupaco.com.
ABOUT RADDON FINANCIAL GROUP:
Founded in 1983, Raddon Financial Group, part of Fiserv, Inc., arms financial industry decision-makers with objective data gained through innovative research techniques and unique database resources. Raddon Financial Group also provides strategic guidance, tactical solutions and marketing solutions to meet the challenges of the continually changing financial industry. For more information, visit www.raddon.com.