Making the Most of Your Freezer
Freezing foods can help reduce meal preparation stress! Freezing is a quick and convenient way to preserve food while saving you money and reducing food waste. Check out these tips to ensure quality and safety.
Add seasoning to food before freezing or after thawing. Want to know which herbs and spices pair best with foods? Check out ISU Extension and Outreach, Words on Wellness Blog at https://blogs.extension.iastate.edu/wellness/tag/spice
Containers & Packing
Use moisture resistant and leak proof containers. Make sure they’re sealed tightly. When using plastic and glass containers, allow extra space for the food to expand. If using plastic freezer bags, pack food tightly with minimal air.
Labeling & Storing
Label all items with food name and date. Store frozen ground meat up 3-4 months, fish 3-6 months, poultry 6-9 months, fruits and vegetables 8-12 months.
Never thaw food at room temperature!
• Refrigerator: Allow 24 hours to thaw and keep
• Cold Water: Run cold water continuously over bagged and sealed items. A bag of food may be submerged in cold water if changed every 30 minutes. Do not let thawing exceed 2 hours with the cold water method.
• Microwave: Only use if food will be fully cooked immediately after thawing.
For more helpful tips, visit the National Center for Home Food Preservation website at http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/gen_freeze.html
Adapted from NEWS (Nutrition Education With Seniors) Newsletter, Iowa State University Extension and Outreach, August 2018. To receive the newsletter contact Kelsey Salow, firstname.lastname@example.org
• Don’t have a toothbrush holder? No need; just slip it into an empty water bottle, and you’ll have a secure holder, plus a water cup to swish with when you get to your destination.
• “If you accidentally overfill the coffeemaker, use a baster to remove the extra water. It works, and you don’t have to try to tip over the maker.” — I.D. in New Mexico
• Did you know that banana peels are an old-wives remedy for warts, facial acne and other pimples, psoriasis, light burns and even wrinkles? Simply scrape and apply, or for the case of warts, secure a small piece of peel over the wart overnight with a bandaid. Who knew they were useful as well as delicious?
• Make your cut flowers last longer with these simple steps: First, trim the ends to open up the stems, then remove all leaves that will be below the water line. Finally, add 2 tablespoons each of sugar and vinegar to a quart of vase water.
• “I finally broke down and traded in the shelves and shelves of my DVD collection for one of those CD binders. I took all the movies out of the plastic cases, and into the slots they went. I saved so much room, and it’s super-easy to flip through the pages to find movie you want to watch.” — C.A. in Ohio
• Keep a file folder with your magazine stack so that you can tear out any great articles or useful information before you pass on the magazine or recycle it. It will help keep you out of the stack trap — where you save a whole magazine to go through later simply because you like one article.
Send your tips to
Now Here’s a Tip,
628 Virginia Drive,
Orlando, FL 32803.
© 2018 King Features Synd., Inc.
Do You Compare? Medicare Part D Open Enrollment Coming
It can cost you money not to review your Medicare Part D drug coverage annually. In one hour a SHIIP counselor can complete a review and let you know if you can save money and make sure you have access to the drugs you need. SHIIP counselors in Iowa have been saving people money on Part D costs for 28 years. In fact last year they helped Iowans save more than $26 million.
Every year between October 15 and December 7th you can change your Medicare Part D or Medicare Advantage plan. Don’t miss out on this opportunity. Let SHIIP counselors make sure your drugs are covered in the lowest cost plan for 2019. Don’t wait. Call today to schedule your appointment.
SHIIP can help you
• Check your current Part D or Medicare Advantage plan to make sure your drugs are covered at the lowest cost and with the least amount of restrictions
• Review your employer drug coverage and compare to other Medicare options
• Check to see if you are eligible for Part D Extra Help
• Understand your options if you do not currently have a drug plan
SHIIP is a free, confidential service of the State of Iowa Insurance Division. SHIIP counselors are available across the state to help answer your Medicare questions.
Call Sunset Park Place, 563-583-3384 to schedule your appointment today!
You will be able to enroll in or change your Part D plan for 2019 from October 15 through December 7, 2018.