Family History of Breast Cancer
• Bring egg whites to room temperature before whipping. You will get better volume, and they will be more stable.
• Wash bath towels in cold water. It preserves color and still cleans them well. Add a clean, dry bath towel to smaller dryer loads to speed up drying time.
• Turn down the maximum temperature on your family’s water heater. You will do two things: One is to avoid accidental scalding, which is especially important if you have young children or seniors in your house. The other is to lower your electric bill, because the water heater will not have to work as hard to keep that big tank of water so hot. — T.D. in New Mexico
• If your straw broom isn’t working as well as it did when new, try giving it a spruce-up. Beat any dust out of the ends, then trim off any bent straws. Trim a section from a leg of stretched out pantyhose or tights and wrap it around the bristles, about two inches up from the bottom. This keeps the bristles nice and tight, and it will collect dirt better.
• When you replace old brushes — hairbrushes or toothbrushes — wrap a length of masking tape around the handle. That way you can use them for cleaning purposes, and they will never be mistakenly used for the wrong purpose.
• “When cooking rice, add a little bit of lemon juice to the water. It does not really flavor it, but it will keep it nice and white, plus it seems to be a bit fluffier when I do this.” — R.E. in Mississippi
• Store extra plastic grocery bags in empty tissue boxes. They are easy to store this way, and you can keep them under the sink or in the car for easy access.
• “Keep your garage floor nice by lining the area where you park with carpet remnants. Road salt and other nasty business that your tires pick up will not corrode the floor. You can shake out the rugs outside.” — C.Y. in New York
• Keep a few bandanas handy in cold weather. They can be used as a mouth/face cover to keep your nose from freezing. They are easy to store in a pocket, and easy to put on and remove.
Send your tips to
Now Here’s a Tip,
628 Virginia Drive,
Orlando, FL 32803.
© 2023 King Features Synd., Inc.
Kids Can Help Bake This One-Step