Spring is when squirrels chatter
1. What women’s college basketball team had its streak of 253 straight weeks ranked in the Associated Press poll’s top five snapped on Feb. 17, 2020?
2. Actor Terry Crews (“Brooklyn Nine-Nine”) was selected in the 11th round of the 1991 NFL Draft by what team?
3. In what sport would the competitors abide by the Marquess of Queensberry Rules?
4. Who was the last U.S. woman to win the gold medal in the ladies’ discipline at the ISU World Figure
5. What TV sportscaster played with future PGA Tour pros Fred Couples and Blaine McCallister as a member of the University of Houston golf team?
6. Jean Dolores Schmidt (a.k.a. “Sister Jean”) became famous overnight as chaplain for what 2018 NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament Final Four team?
7. Though nicknamed “The Admiral,” what rank did basketball great David Robinson achieve when he completed his Navy service in 1989?
1. The Connecticut Huskies, whose historic stretch began Feb. 5, 2007.
2. The Los Angeles Rams.
4. Kimmie Meissner, in 2006.
5. Jim Nantz, CBS Sports lead play-by-play announcer.
6. The Loyola University Chicago Ramblers.
7. Lieutenant (junior grade).
© 2020 King Features Synd., Inc.
It’s the kind of March Madness that no one expected. Covid-19 or Coronavirus brought an abrupt end to all sports as we know them on March 11th when the NBA suspended its season until further notice.
The next day the Big Ten tourney in Indianapolis was cancelled and the dominoes began to fall. No selection Sunday show, no NCAA tournament. No basketball, baseball or hockey. In fact, classes are suspended at Iowa and other universities until further notice.
I feel terrible for all involved. From the players, to the fans paying high ticket prices, to the workers at all the arenas who depend on that paycheck that supports their families. There’s the regional hosting cities with the restaurants and bars that depend on that income. A ripple effect that becomes an after shock.
Of course, it was the right thing to do given the highly contagious nature of Covid-19. This should be a message to us all where personal hygiene is concerned. Wash your hands with soap and cough or sneeze into your elbow sleeve. Avoiding large gatherings at games or concerts has been for the most part eliminated.
To think Luka Garza, Kathleen Doyle or Spencer Lee and Alex Marinelli won’t be able to compete at the highest level for a chance at a title has to be stunning to these athletes. Hopefully their chance is still out there when this story subsides.
We’ll all remember where we were and what we were doing when the sports world temporarily came tumbling down. It doesn’t rival 9/11 or the day President Kennedy was gunned down in Dallas. It is shocking just the same. With medical technology unmatched, I hope and pray that doctors and scientists find a serum or antibiotic that will wipe Coronavirus off the windshield of daily life and we can get back to our escape from politicians sniping at each other and the Stock Market roller coasting.